The Beinecke Scholarship provides $34,000: $4,000 prior to graduate study and $15,000 per year for two years of graduate study in the arts, humanities, or social sciences. Approximately 100 colleges and universities from across the U.S. (including UCLA) are invited to nominate one student for a Beinecke Scholarship; twenty scholarships are awarded nationwide.
- Full-time Junior.
- U.S. citizen or U.S. national from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands.
- Upper quarter of class.
- Have a documented history of need-based financial aid.
Most Beinecke recipients are at the top of their class academically and many plan to pursue careers in college teaching and/or research. The amount of an applicant’s financial need will not be a major determining factor, but preference is given to candidates for whom the scholarship would enable her/him to attend graduate school.
Applicants must submit the following to the Scholarship Resource Center at 233 Covel Commons by the stated UCLA campus deadline:
- A personal statement of 500-1,000 words describing your background, interests, plans for graduate study, and career aspirations. The statement should include a discussion of some experiences and ideas that have shaped those interests, plans, and aspirations. Note: This is the essay prompt you will have on the actual application, so you can consider this a draft of the required 1000-word essay question on the actual application.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. For the preliminary application, these may be unofficial transcripts.
- One letter of recommendation. This can be submitted with your application or can be emailed to Dr. Francesca Marx at email@example.com.
- The names and affiliations of the two additional people from whom you will request recommendations if you are selected as the UCLA candidate for the Beinecke Scholarship.
- A completed financial aid summary (you may access your Financial Aid Summary through MyUCLA. Under the tab “Finances and Jobs” locate the link “Financial Aid Summary/Awards” and choose the most recent “Award Period.”)
All UCLA Beinecke applicants are encouraged to make an individual advising appointment with the UCLA Scholarship Resource Center by calling 310-206-2875 or stopping by the SRC at 233 Covel Commons.