The Harry S. Truman Scholarship provides $30,000 to juniors planning to attend graduate school in preparation for careers in public service. Awardees also receive leadership training, graduate school counseling, preferential admission to premier graduate institutions, and internship opportunities with federal agencies. 60-65 scholarships are awarded to juniors from across the country. UCLA may nominate up to seven candidates – four who entered as Freshmen and three who entered as Transfers.
Please note: Students must contact the Scholarship Research Center to gain access to the on-line application. Please call 310-206-2875 to initiate this process.
- Full-time junior.
- Committed to a career in public service.
- The Truman Foundation defines public service as employment in government at any level, uniformed services, public-interest organizations, nongovernmental research and/or educational
organizations, and public-service oriented nonprofit organizations such as those whose primary purposes are to help needy or disadvantaged persons or to protect the environment.
- In upper quarter of class.
- U.S. citizens or U.S. nationals from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
Evaluators look for leadership ability, potential for influencing public policies, community service and extracurricular activities, suitability of the applicant’s proposed program of study for a career in public service, strong academic performance, and potential to perform well in a premier graduate school program. Truman Scholars have pursued many fields of study, such as agriculture, engineering, economics, education, government, history, international relations, law, political science, public administration, and public health. For additional information on selection criteria, visit the Truman Foundation website.
To apply for a University nomination, you must complete the following steps:
- You must contact the UCLA Scholarship Resource Center to express your intention to apply for the scholarship. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310-206-2875 between 11:00am and 6:00pm only. Once you have made contact with the UCLA Truman representative, you will be given access to the official online Truman application at the Truman website
- Once you have been granted access to the Truman application, you will be required to complete the entire on-line application. You must print out your application and submit a copy with your transcript to the Scholarship Resource Center by the stated UCLA deadline. PLEASE PAPERCLIP YOUR MATERIALS.
Spend some time looking through the website , since you will find very helpful resources for filling out the application
The sample application can be found at: http://www.truman.gov/sample-application-forms/
Please use the “sampleapplication.doc” located at the bottom of the page.
- You must submit unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Official transcripts will be required if you are selected as a UCLA nominee for the Truman Scholarship.
- You will need to provide one to two letters of recommendation. Please note that if you are selected as a UCLA nominee for the Truman Scholarship, you will be required to get a third letter of recommendation in a short period of time.