Campus Deadline: September 9
The Winston Churchill Foundation will award graduate scholarships to help American students of exceptional ability and outstanding achievement the opportunity to pursue graduate studies in engineering, mathematics, or the sciences at Churchill College, the University of Cambridge. The foundation offers generous living and travel allowances in addition to fully covering all university and college tuition fees. At least twelve scholarships are awarded to seniors and recent graduates from across the country. UCLA may nominate up to two students for the Churchill Scholarship.
- U.S. citizen, age 19-26
- Be a senior or recent graduate from an accredited college or university in the U.S.
- Must have taken the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) Scores must be received by the foundation no later than the end of December 2018.
- Have a demonstrated academic excellence (previous Scholars have usually had a grade point average of at least 3.7 or A-)
- Applicants must also submit the application for admission to the University of Cambridge (Churchill College) with the Churchill application
Evaluators look for exceptional academic achievement as indicated by course grades. Scores on the Graduate Record Examinations. A capacity to pursue original, creative work and to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the sciences, engineering, or mathematics. Outstanding personal qualities as demonstrated by leadership, activities, and social engagement.
To be considered for the UCLA Churchill nomination, please submit the following materials to the UCLA Scholarship Resource Center at 233 Covel Commons by the UCLA campus deadline, September 9:
(Applications received after this date will be accepted at the discretion of the Scholarship Resource Center.)
- The University of Cambridge Application Form (The application is available on the University of Cambridge Website at http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/gradadmissions/prospec/apply/. Admission application should be completed by mid-October!
- One signed copy of the Churchill Foundation Application Form
- Two letters of reference. Please note that you will need two additional letters of recommendation if you are selected as a UCLA Churchill Scholarship finalist.
- The names and affiliations of the two additional people from whom you will request recommendations if you are selected as the UCLA candidate for the Churchill Scholarship.
- A letter of interest or commitment from a director of a laboratory at Cambridge, if available and if relevant.
- Unofficial transcript from each institution you have attended. Please note that you will need to provide official transcripts if selected as a UCLA Churchill Scholarship nominee.
- Graduate Record Examination scores on the General Test.
- An annotated resume that details your research experience, honors, and awards. Click here to learn how to prepare an annotated resume.
Applications must be endorsed by UCLA before they can be submitted to the Churchill Foundation. In the endorsement process, the campus selection committee reviews application materials and selects UCLA’s nominees.
For more information about the Churchill Scholarship, please visit the following site: http://www.winstonchurchillfoundation.org/scholarship.html.